Try Your Hands On This Delicious Ghanaian Waakye Rice This Weekend
This recipe is one of Ghana’s favourite rice dishes. It has the simplest ingredients but tastes so delicious. Ghanaians usually eat this rice with a meat sauce and any of these sides, sliced ripe avocado, shito, kelewele, wet garri, spaghetti and some vegetable salad.
Below is a step by step easy for you to make this recipe yourself.
– 2 cups black eyed beans
– 2 cups rice
– 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
– 4 tablespoon oil
– Salt to taste
How To prepare
1. Soak the black eyed beans in enough water to cover them overnight then cook them until just soft the following day or cook the dried beans in a pressure cooker for about 15-20 mins.
2. You must ensure the beans are just getting soft and not mushy because they will continue cooking with the rice.
3. Add the soda to the cooking beans. The soda will fizz once added so you might want to leave the lid off until this goes down (about 3 minutes).
4. Season well with salt and add the oil.
5. Now add your washed rice and mix it in thoroughly. If there isn’t enough liquid add a bit more enough to just cover the rice.
6. Leave to cook until rice is soft, mixing with a fork half way through. The rice will get a darker colour as it cools down.
7. Serve with your favourite stew, coleslaw or any sauce of your choice.